There’s one thing I know for sure: I can directly impact how my day unfolds by starting with a good morning routine. So today, I want to share with you some of my favorite ways to start my day to ensure that regardless of what happens to me, I’m centered, focused and positive.
What My Morning Routine Looks Like
Let me start by saying this: You are the only person who knows the best way to start your day. Trust yourself when it comes to figuring out the best way to start each day. I’m only sharing what works for me so you can take what you like and leave the rest.
The night before I go to bed: Instead of a mega to-do list, I set only 1-2 intentions now for each day. With that tight of a focus, I feel enormously successful at the end of every day and excited to take on more. This makes a world of a difference for me. Simply ask yourself: What is my goal for tomorrow? If you’re stuck, ask yourself: What 3-5 goals do I want to finish by the end of the work week? And then work backwards from there.
For example, I may say: My intention for tomorrow is to finish four outlines for the podcast. If I have time, I will create a Pinterest mood board for the next photoshoot for my activewear company, Cove.
In the morning:
- Before my feet hit the floor, I express gratitude for my life. Energy is very contagious and I know that as I express gratitude, I’m putting that energy into my entire home. I say, “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” before I get out of bed every morning and try to feel genuinely thankful to be awake with a beating heart.
- I try to list at least 10 things I’m grateful for – and why.
- I don’t check my phone for the first 1-2 hours after I wake up. I want to make sure I’m in the right headspace before I let the outside world in. No text messages, no phone calls, no social media.
- I spend 10 minutes priming. Priming is taking the time to train your mind to have positive thoughts and emotions so you can attract a happier life. I have a two-part series on priming (check here and here) for more info on how to prime. This is my favorite part of the morning.
- I make my bed every single day. Studies have been done on how positive of an impact this can make for people as you accomplish something right away every day. Set that tone that you’re accomplishing something immediately.
- I empty the dishwasher from the night before. If you check out this post on how to stay organized, this is a tip I gave then. Sticking with this helps me keep a clean kitchen throughout the day.
- While I get ready, I listen to a podcast, a book or pump-up music. Listen, I guard my mind. To combat any negative chatter, I play something positive and uplifting so I’m strengthening my mind and energy while I’m getting ready.
I hope this encourages you to find ways to start your day with a more positive, intentional mindset. I’d love to hear what goes into your morning routine so head to the @WhatTheEffPodcast Instagram page to either DM me or tell me in the comments how you start your day.
A little reminder that I’m doing a five-day priming challenge beginning Monday, April 29th! You can sign up right here to join. I’ll be going live with you and teaching you my 15-minute priming routine. If you don’t know about priming, it’s an amazing way to remove negative chatter from your mind and can help you manifest what you want in life. I’d also love to hear your own “What the Eff” moments! Email me at email@example.com with the subject line “What the Eff moments.” I’d love to share your moments on the show, so email away!